Patrol Response to Internet Crimes
Member's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $85
Add To Google Calendar
Instructional Goal: The decisions made by the first responder can either make or break a sometimes-sensitive internet/digital investigation. This class will address the patrol response which is crucial in the handling of complaints and investigations related to internet based crimes, i.e. Fraud, Sexting, Cyberbullying, Sex Predators, Stalking etc.
Instructional Objectives: Upon completion of the training exercises, participants will:
• Obtain the basic overview of Craigslist, EBay, Facebook, Form Spring, Various email services, Google, YouTube and Match.com.
• To search a live hard drive for evidence (pictures and videos).
• How to detect if software based key logging software is attached to the computer.
• Obtain crucial information in Internet/Computer Fraud Cases.
• Understand how to obtain IP’s, screen names, email headers, Social Networks
• User I.D. Banking information and Cell Phone data for the initial report.
• Various laws concerning Internet Crime such as Computer Tampering, Stalking, Computer Fraud, Identity Theft, Harassment through Electronic Communication, Sexting, Indecent Solicitation of a Child, Sexual Exploitation of a Child and Child Pornography.
• Overview of computer and cell phone forensics and when it is appropriate to seize these items from a victim or a suspect to be analyzed.
• The differences in charging Harassment through Electronic Communication and Cyber-Stalking. • Procedures involved in obtaining a Stalking No Contact Civil Order of Protection.
Participants need to bring a Flash/Thumb Drive to download resource materials during class.
This course has been certified by the ILETSB and approved to meet the following mandates:
☒ Civil Rights
☒ Constitutional & Proper Use of Law Enforcement Authority
☐ Cultural Competency
☐ Human Rights
☒ Law Updates
☒ Lead Homicide Investigator
☐ Procedural Justice
☐ Use of Force (must include scenario based/similar training)
THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC MEETING